Sausage and Cheese Strata
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- Preheat oven to 375°F degrees. Cut loaf of bread into 1 inch slices, then roughly tear into large pieces (around 3 inches). Place on baking sheet and toast in oven for 10 minutes tossing once. (You may skip this step if using day old bread, as long as it's fairly dry.).
- Heat large skillet over medium high heat, crumble loose sausage into pan and cook until no longer pink (about 7-9 minutes). Remove sausage from skillet and place in bowl large enough to accommodate sausage and bread.
- Pour off and discard all but 1 tablespoon of fat from skillet and add onion. Cook over medium low heat until soft and brown, 5-7 minutes. Add onion and torn bread to sausage and toss. Add 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese and toss again.
- Butter a 9 x 13 x 2 inch Pyrex baking dish. Beat eggs well then beat in milk and sour cream til smooth; season with salt and pepper.
- Place sausage/bread/onion/cheese mixture into buttered dish and pour milk/egg mixture over, pressing down on the bread with a spatula to insure that the egg begins to soak up the liquid. Sprinkle with remaining shredded cheese and scallion (if using), cover and place in fridge overnight.
- The following morning (or early afternoon) preheat oven to 350°F Bake until browned and puffy, about 45-50 minutes. Serve hot with a Bloody Mary. Pass sour cream, hot sauce in general (sriracha specifically), ketchup, salsa, or sliced avocados; if you have the energy, top each serving with a runny fried egg.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!