1/2 Photos of Sausage Onion Cornbread
This dressed-up cornbread recipe is made with the addition of browned sausage and chopped onion, along with buttermilk or sour cream, cornmeal, egg, and other ingredients. The sausage and onions are browned in the skillet, the cornbread batter is poured over the mixture, and the skillet is moved to the oven to bake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and soda.
- 3Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 4In another bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk until well blended.
- 5Add to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until dry ingredients are thoroughly moistened.
- 6Heat a 10-inch cast iron or heavy oven safe skillet over high heat; crumble sausage into it.
- 7Brown sausage for about 2 minutes to render some of the fat.
- 8Add the onion to the skillet.
- 9Cook, stirring constantly, until sausage is browned and onion is tender.
- 10Remove from heat.
- 11Spread sausage and onion out to evenly cover bottom of skillet.
- 12Spoon cornmeal batter evenly over the sausage and onion mixture and carefully spread out.
- 13Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and firm.
- 14Using a knife, carefully loosen around the edge of skillet then immediately invert onto a serving plate.
- 15Cut into wedges. Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sausage Onion Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (130 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 283.8
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.4 g
- Cholesterol 67.4 mg
- Sodium 702.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 9.1 g