Ole Miss Black-Eyed Pea and Sausage Cornbread
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄2 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cups white cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk (regular or 2%)
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained
- 1⁄2 cup canned diced green chiles (or jalapenos)
- Preheat oven to 375°; grease a large baking dish with butter and set aside.
- In a skillet, break up the sausage, add in the onion, and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Drain the sausage and onion on paper towels.
- In a big bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, and baking soda together.
- In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil, and eggs together; add to the dry mixture, and stir just until the dry mixture is moistened (do not overmix, the batter should be slight lumpy).
- Add the cheese, black-eyed peas, and chiles; stir until blended.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared dish; bake until golden brown, about 40-50 minutes.
- Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!