Sausage Upside-down Cornbread
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
From a sorority sister (too many years ago!)....makes a delicious meal with soup or salad.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb pork sausage (prefer Owens hot)
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, cubed approximately 1/4 inch
- 1⁄2 cup sliced ripe olives
- 2 (6 ounce) packages cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Brown sausage, onion, and green pepper in a large skillet until sausage is brown and crumbly.
- Stir in the flour, then add the next four ingredients.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in cheese cubes and olives.
- Pour mixture into a 9" square pan.
- Prepare cornbread mix with eggs and milk, or according to package directions.
- Spread cornbread batter over sausage mixture.
- Bake 30-35 minutes.
- Let stand in pan for 5 minutes, then loosen edges with a spatula.
- Invert onto a plate or platter.
- Serve warm.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION