Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Yet another winner from Ms. Paula H. Deen!
Make and share this Sausage and Grits Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup uncooked grits
- 1 lb bulk breakfast sausage (if you need to use links, finely dice the cooked links)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 (4 1/2 ounce) cans green chilies, drained and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 10 drops Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Cook the grits in 4 cups of salted water until done (follow package directions) Saute the sausage and onions, breaking the sausage into small pieces.
- Drain the grease from the sausage and onions.
- Add the chilies, butter, eggs, cheese and Tabasco to the cooked grits.
- Combine the sausage and onions with the grits mixture.
- Pour everything into a 9"x 13" casserole and garnish with the paprika and parsley.
- The mixture can be refrigerated for up to two days before baking (bring to room temperature before baking to use the same bake time).
- Bake at 325°F for one (1) hour.
- This also freezes well.
Made a delicious and hearty breakfast with scrambled eggs, biscuits, strawberry freezer jam, and fruit. I love grits, and this is a great recipe. Didn't read the recipe and ended up stirring in the parsley and paprika. Good, but next time I will garnish correctly. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
This was okay. I usually love Paula's recipes. I thought this was a little bland though it was better the next day reheated. I would use spicy breakfast sausage next time. I prefer having grits and sausage separate, but this may be just what you a looking for. Thanks for posting.
We love this. It is certainly comfort food for a cold winter night. We always buy stone ground grits when we get a chance and they really make this dish.