Recipe by Alan Leonetti
This is a DELICIOUS way of making a roast. It takes time in the refrigerator, but it is worth it. The preparation time does not include the marinating time in the refrigerator. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me: AlanLeonetti@q.com
- 4 lbs sirloin tip roast or 4 lbs rump roast
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1 cup Coca-Cola
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 medium onions (sliced)
- 2 medium celery ribs (sliced)
- 2 medium carrots (sliced)
- 10 whole black peppercorns
- 10 whole cloves
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- dripping, plus strained marinade
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 5 tablespoons ginger snaps, crumbs
SWEET and SOUR CABBAGE with APPLE
- 8 cups shredded red cabbage
- 2 tart green apples (peeled and chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE MEAT:.
- 3 to 4 days before serving, wipe the meat with a damp cloth, and then place in a large plastic bag.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly combine the vinegar, Coca-Cola, water, onions, celery, carrots, pepper, cloves, bay leaves, sugar and salt, and pour over the meat.
- Fasten bag tightly and lay flat in a 13 inch x 9 inch pan. Refrigerate, turning bag 2 or 3 times a day.
- When ready to cook, remove meat (saving the marinade), and dry well. Rub the surface lightly with flour.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the cooking oil and slowly brown the meat well on all sides.
- Add 1 cup of the marinade liquid, plus some of the vegetables and all 3 of the bay leaves.
- Cover tightly and simmer on surface heat or in a preheated 350 degree oven for 3 to 4 hours until the meat is fork-tender.
- If needed, add more of the marinade during cooking to keep at least 1/2 inch of liquid in the Dutch oven.
- Remove the meat and keep warm until ready to slice.
- Into a bowl, place the drippings and junk. Add a few ice cubes and allow to stand a few minutes until the fat floats to the top.
- Remove the fat carefully with a large spoon, and then make the gravy.
- FOR THE GRAVY:.
- In the Dutch oven, combine the gravy ingredients, stir and cook about 5 or 10 minutes over medium heat until gravy is thickened. Taste for seasonings.
- FOR THE CABBAGE WITH APPLE:.
- In a medium saucepan combine all ingredients.
- Simmer covered, for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Also place the marinade vegetables in a covered saucepan with 1 cup of water and simmer about 1/2 hour as side dish.
- NOTE: Also serve with either boiled or parsley potatoes, or you could serve with dumplings.