Prep 72 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
This a German dish that I am yet to try. It is supposedy an all time German favourite.
- 1 1⁄4 kg topside steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain flour, for rolling
- 3 onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 lemon, sliced
- 6 peppercorns
- 6 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- 400 ml vinegar
- 200 ml water
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Rub beef all over with salt and pepper and tie securely with white string.
- or boiling marinade over and leave in a cool place overnight preferable for 2 - 3 days.
- Turn meat occasionally.
- Marinade. Combine all ingredients and bring to boil.
- Drain meat well and reserve marinade.
- Heat oil in a large casserole or roasting pan and brown meat lightly on all sides.
- Add sugar to marinade
- Pour over meat.
- Cover and cook in moderate oven 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove beef from marinade,cut off string.
- Place on serving plate and keep warm.
- Strain marinade, skim off fat and heat.
- Mix flour and water to a smooth paste and blend into marinade.
- Stir continually, bring to simmering point, cook for 10 minutes.
- Carve beef and and pour sauce over.