An easy, non-traditional, satay version, of a favorite Vietnamese soup. If you prefer, use strips of sauteed chicken and chicken stock, instead of the fillet steak and beef stock in this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces rice noodles (about the width of fettuccine)
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped garlic
- 8 cups good beef stock or 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons nuoc nam (Vietnamese fish sauce)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 1/2 cup satay sauce (I use Ayam brand, mild)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sriracha sauce (chili sauce) or 1/2-1 teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 6 ounces filet of beef, sliced thinly (or sauteed chicken strips)
- 1Heat oil in a deep pan or skillet and lightly saute the ginger and garlic for 1 minute.
- 2Add the beef stock, nuoc nam, lemon grass, spring onions, cinnamon and star anise.
- 3Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes, then strain and return stock to pan.
- 4Stock can be prepared to this stage, 3 days ahead.
- 5On the day of serving, prepare the ingredients for the garnishes and place in small serving bowls.
- 6Around 20 minutes before serving, place the noodles in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and soak until noodles are soft (about 20 minutes), then drain well.
- 7When ready to serve, bring the stock to the boil and add the satay sauce, and Sriracha chili sauce or sambal oelek, if desired.
- 8Taste and correct seasoning, adding a touch more satay sauce and chili sauce if desired.
- 9Divide the hot rice stick noodles between 4 to 6 deep soup bowls, and top with sliced, raw, beef fillet.
- 10Ladle over enough boiling stock to cover the noodles and meat.
- 11Whether the beef is rare or well done is determined by how long the beef sits in the hot broth before serving.
- 12Each person tops their portion with their choice of garnishes, a squeeze of lime juice and Sriracha sauce if desired.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Satay Beef and Noodle Soup
Serving Size: 1 (454 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 468.6
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 30.0 mg
- Sodium 2722.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef