Recipe by SarasotaCook
Easy good variation on the standard burger. Shrimp burgers topped with a spicy mayo, fresh avocado, thin onion slices, lettuce and tomato make this the ultimate burger. These can also be froze and grilled or sauteed later. I love these. We get great prices down here and I know Sam's and Costco also have great prices. Take advantage. Also salad shrimp at 3 dollars a bag this makes a great new burger for little money. I just think the chili sauce with the mayo is a big part of the dish, but I always have the chili sauce in my fridge. If you don't. Tarter sauce would be just fine. I also like to toast the buns and make sure you have lots of fresh tomatoes and lettuce like you would for any good burger. This was originally from a friend in Miami but she hates spice so I had to add some ... Enjoy!!
Top Review by LifeIsGood
Delicious!! The flavor combinations are just wonderful for these shrmip burgers. I used half a jalapeno and enjoyed just a touch of heat. The chili lime mayo was so simple and tasted wonderful paired with the shrimp. (Just remember in step 4 to add that lime.) I used a day old baguette, whirled in a food processor, for the fresh breadcrumbs that get mixed into the shrimp burgers and then just plain store-bought variety for dredging. My only two problems with the recipe were: 1.mine came out tasting just a little too salty, so I think next time I'll only add about 1/2 t. kosher salt 2. my shrimp burgers did not stay together very well. I had a hard time transferring them to the pan and flipping. Can you add something in the directions that would help bind them better if someone else has the same problem? That said, the taste is fantastic and I would definitley make these again. Loved the toppings suggestions, too...perfect! Thanks. :) ~Made for Fall PAC~
- 1 lb shrimp (pre cooked and diced fine)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb (I like day old baguette or day old Italian bread, but anything will work)
- 4 tablespoons celery, chopped fine
- 1 shallot (small, grated)
- 2 scallions, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 jalapeno, diced don't want too spicy (small, just chopped very fine)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil, to pan fry the cakes in (vegetable)
- 1⁄4 plain breadcrumbs or 1⁄4 panko breadcrumbs
Sauce and Garnish
- tomatoes, slices
- red onion, thin sliced
- avocado, thin sliced
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Now you can get boiled salad shrimp (the baby shrimp) or you can buy precooked any size you want. Just remember -- 1 lb. I have used large and chopped, small and not chopped and medium and chopped a little. So don't worry about the size. Besides, I love to buy it pre cooked for this, easier and quicker. This should be something quick so I try to take advantage of precooked shrimp when I can. Most stores do have some descent cooked shrimp these days. Even frozen precooked shrimp once thawed and drained well and dried will work just fine. Don't worry.
- In a large bowl, -- Mix -- the chopped shrimp, scallions, pepper, lemon zest, shallot, celery, mayonnaise, seasoning, egg, parsley, and bread crumbs. Toss lightly. Don't over mix.
- Patties -- Make the patties -- just form a medium size patty and then dredge lightly in the bread crumbs or panko. Pan saute on medium heat in a non stick skillet in the oil until golden brown. It will take 3-4 minutes per side is all until done.
- TIP: I like to freeze the patties for a 15 minutes before sauteing. This just help firm them up a bit and helps with the frying.
- Grill your burger buns -- prepare the toppings, the tomatoes, lettuce and onions and make your chili sauce. Just mix the mayo and chili sauce together for an amazing spread.
- Serve dinner -- Serve each bun with a slather of the chili mayo, then lettuce, the burger, then tomato and avocado, onion, more lettuce, and top it with the bun also slathered again with the chili mayo. It is perfect.