1/1 Photo of Santa Fe-Tastic Chicken Tortilla Soup
DinnerDiva in OK's Note:
This is Rachel Ray's. It is so awesome, I can't think of a single modification....it is perfect. It is more time consuming than most tortilla soups because of the roasted veggies, but it is totally worth it. If you wanted to go vegetarian, leave out the chicken, there is so much to this soup it would be great that way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 ears corn on the cob
- 1 red bell pepper, split and seeded
- 1 lb chicken breast tenders
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning, 1/3 palm full
- 1 teaspoon cumin, 1/3 palm full
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, small dice
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, chopped (medium to hot heat level)
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups blue corn tortilla chips, broken up into large pieces
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1Heat a grill pan to high and a soup pot to medium high.
- 2Drizzle oil on corn and place on grill. Add red pepper to grill with corn. Char vegetables 10 minutes, total, turning occasionally. Remove to cool, 5 minutes.
- 3Remove charred skin from the pepper.
- 4While vegetables cook, dice chicken. Add 2 tablespoons oil to hot soup pot. Add chicken to pot. Season with poultry seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper. Lightly brown chicken on each side. Add zucchini, onions and garlic and chipotle peppers. Cook vegetables with chicken 5 to 7 minutes to soften. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and stock.
- 5Bring soup to a bubble, reduce heat to medium low.
- 6Scrape corn off cob and add to soup.
- 7Chop grilled red pepper and stir into soup.
- 8Can simmer for about an hour or serve right away. This just gets better with time.
- 9Add chips to soup in handfuls and stir.
- 10Serve soup immediately with scatter of shredded cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
- 11Top with any or all of the suggested garnishes. Best with big chunks of avacado.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Santa Fe-Tastic Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (895 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 704.5
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.7 g
- Cholesterol 122.6 mg
- Sodium 1376.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 21.9 g
- Protein 44.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo
blue corn tortilla chips