Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
My mother-in-law gave this to me because she knows how much we like spicy food. Yummy!! Came from a magazine, don't know which one.
Top Review by minneapplegirl
I really like this recipe. I did make some changes, but I think it was in the same spirit of the recipe. I didn't have a red pepper so used green pepper. I also added about 1/4 cup tomato sauce and chopped fresh cilantro. I also skipped the jar of salsa (probably made up for this with the tomato sauce and cilantro I added). I only had a can of chili (pinto) beans. I did not rinse the beans. reduced the cumin to 1 tsp and added 1 tsp oregano. When I make this again, I think I will season the chicken before cooking so it marinades. Even though I made changes, I think it's a great recipe so thanks for putting me in the right direction. It was yummy.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 in pieces
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (12 ounce) jar salsa
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen corn
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 5-6 quart pot, saute first 4 ingredients in oil over medium heat, until chicken is not pink and vegetables are tender.
- Add in chili powder, cumin, and cayenne; stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Add in the tomatoes and chicken broth; bring mixture to a boil; lower heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Add in beans, salsa, corn, salt and pepper; return mixture to a boil.
- Lower heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.