Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of the most requested soups at Gubanc's Pub in Portland, Or. Their chef has created so many soups that they could serve a different one each day for 3 months. The amount of ingredients looks long and time-consuming, but you can actually put the spices together days before. This is a wonderful, soul-warming soup with terrific flavor.
- 2 1⁄2 cups great northern beans, soaked in water to cover overnight
- 11 cups lightly salted chicken broth, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 4 -5 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped green bell peppers
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic, divided
- 2 -3 tablespoons flour
- 1 lb chopped boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chilies
- shredded havarti cheese
- sour cream
- chopped cilantro
- Drain soaked beans. Combine in large soup pot with 8 cups chicken broth. Bring to boil; cover and simmer 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until tender.
- Combine oregano, parsley, 4 tsp salt, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, chili powder, pepper, cayenne, and red pepper flakes in bowl. Set aside.
- In large saucepan, heat butter and oil; add onion, bell pepper, celery, 1/2 Tblsp garlic and a third of the reserved seasoning mix. Saute over medium heat about 5 minutes. Add another 1/2 Tblsp garlic and another third of the seasoning mix. Continue sauteing until celery is tender. Add remaining 1/2 Tblsp garlic, seasoning mix and 2 to 3 Tblsp flour; cook 5 to 7 minutes longer. Whisk in remaining 3 cups chicken broth, cooking til thickened.
- Add cooked beans and their broth, chicken and green chilies; heat til chicken is just cooked done, about 5-6 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with garnishes.