Recipe by gailanng
As the old saying goes, everything tastes better with butter. Right? From Lucy Vaserfirer’s “Flavored Butters” cookbook.
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fleur de sel, to taste (finishing sea salt)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the sugar and water in a small, heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil, brush down the sides of the pan with water and boil until caramelized, 5-6 minutes. The sugar will be fragrant and have a deep amber color when it is caramelized.
- Remove the pan from the heat, slowly stir in the cream until smooth and let cool to room temperature.
- Blend together the caramel, butter, salt and vanilla in a medium-size bowl.
- This butter may be formed into a log and refrigerate until firm before slicing and serving.
- How to Form into a Log: Transfer the flavored butter to a sheet of parchment paper, roll tightly into a 1 1/2-inch-thick log (a straight edge is helpful for forming an even log), and twist both ends of the parchment paper to seal. Slip the log into a paper towel tube if you want it to be perfectly round, and refrigerate until firm. To serve, cut slices of flavored butter with a warm knife (simply run hot water over the blade and then wipe it dry).