Recipe by papergoddess
Green sauce to serve with enchilladas, tacos, etc. Great with chicken or turkey enchilladas.
Top Review by JayTL
This recipe was easy and tasty, I substituted vegetable broth for the chicken broth. I wasn't sure about the size of the can of chiles, so I used 2 smaller 8 oz cans. I think my sauce could also have used more tomatillos. I used this as a sauce for fish enchiladas with Cotija cheese and it came out nicely!
- 1 medium onion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped blanched almond (optional)
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomatillos or 1 3⁄4 lbs fresh tomatillos
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 can green chili, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saucepan and stir in onion and almonds.
- Cook until onion is soft and almonds and lightly browned.
- Simmer tomatillos in chicken broth until soft if using fresh ones. Drain canned tomatillos.
- Whirl tomatillos with liquid in blender or food processor until fairly smooth Add to onions; stir in cilantro and chilis.
- Add chicken broth and simmer rapidly, until reduced to 2 1/2 cups