Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage link, brushed with
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn around the pan
- 1 slice bacon, chopped
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 (8 ounce) boneless pork chops, cut into bite-size chinks
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme or 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- coarse salt and black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced tomatoes in puree
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained
- 1⁄2 loaf crusty baguette, split lengthwise
- 1 garlic clove, cracked, for garnish
- extra virgin olive oil, 1 drizzle
- Preheat broiler to high. Place sausages on a broiler pan and cook 6 inches from heat source 15 minutes turning once.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add extra virgin olive oil, 1 turn around the pan, and chopped bacon. Cook bacon 1 minute, then add chicken and pork, and brown cubes on all sides, 3 minutes. Season meats with thyme, salt, and pepper, and add garlic, vegetables, and bay leaf to the pot. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then deglaze the pan with wine.
- Slice sausages on an angle and add pieces to the pot on the stove. Stir in tomatoes and beans and heat them through. Adjust seasonings and remove pan from heat.
- Broil the spilt baguette until golden. Rub bread with cracked garlic and drizzle with oil. Coarsely chop bread and scatter the chunks around the edge of the pan. Serve the cassoulet directly from the hot pot to the table.