Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Goes great with clotted cream.
Make and share this Rustic Lemon Poppy Seed Scones recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut in margarine until the mixture is crumbly (consistency will be coarse).
- Stir in poppy seeds and lemon zest.
- Make a well in the center of the ingredients.
- Beat egg in a small bowl until frothy; stir in the milk.
- Pour egg mixture into the well you made in the flour mixture, and stir with a fork to form a soft dough.
- Do not overmix.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead 8-10 times; divide dough into 6 equal portions, and form into slightly flattened balls.
- Place balls 1-2" apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with milk and sprinkle with some confectioners sugar.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, or until well risen and both tops and bottoms are slightly browned.
- Serve with butter, clotted cream, jam, or marmalade, if you desire.
I used this recipe with fresh lomons off my tree. It was excellent, but it is only mildly lemony. I think using a tiny bit of lemon extract could be the key? I also varried it- I made cranberry walnut scones and they were to die for!
Loved the poppy seed! Not sooo lemon like, but a very good scone.
This a a GREAT recipie that can used as a base for sconed other than lemon poppy! I didnt have lemon on hand so I used orange zest and chopped dried cherries! I mixed milk and a little orange juice to brush on top. They were fabulous! Everything came our perfect and this was my first time making scones ever! I adjusted the butter to 1/3 cup b/c I felt there wasnt enough butter but that may b/c of the flour I was using. And, I used pizza cutter to make traditional triangle shaped scones. It could not have been EASIER!