Recipe by Jenny Sanders
I adapted this from a cookbook posted by MIR in the 1970's. I am not a big fan of tarragon, so I prefer dill pickles, but if you are a fan of tarragon, give these a try! Like dill pickles, these are very simple to make.
- 2 quarts pickling cucumbers
- 4 cups vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons pickling salt
- 4 -8 fresh tarragon sprigs
- 8 -12 cloves garlic
- 2 -4 mild red chile peppers
Directions See How It's Made
- Scrub the cucumbers very well.
- Put the jars in a canner, add water to cover them by 1", and bring them to a boil; boil for 10 minutes.
- Pack the jars with cucumbers, putting a good sprig or two of tarragon in each jar.
- Add 2-3 cloves of garlic and the pepper; half of one if they are on the large side.
- Make a brine of the vinegar, salt and water and pour over the cucumbers.
- Seal with sterilized lids.
- Set aside for 6 weeks in a cool dark spot before trying.