A recipe I found on the myrecipes.com website that's great for the cooler fall months. It's a lightened up version of similar recipes that reduces calories from over 430 to about 275 per serving by using low-fat and low-sodium ingredients and replacing butter with olive oil for sautéing the vegetables. The original recipe states the recipe yields 12 servings. But as the main portion of our meal (served with bread), it was closer to about 9 or 10 servings. Some of the reviews stated they sprinkled bacon bits on top of each serving, but we enjoyed it just as it's written.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small leeks, chopped (white and light green parts only)
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried dill weed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 2 lbs red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 lb fresh button mushrooms, sliced (use portabellas for richer flavor)
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- fresh dill weed, for garnish (optional)
- 1Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leeks and carrots, and cook 5 minutes. Pour in broth. Season with dill, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Add potatoes, cover, and cook 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender but firm. Remove and discard the bay leaf.
- 2Heat remaining olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and sauté the mushrooms for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Stir sautéed mushrooms into the soup.
- 3In a small bowl, mix the sour cream and flour until smooth, and stir into the soup to thicken.
- 4To serve, garnish each bowl of soup with a sprig of fresh dill.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Russian Mushroom and Potato Soup (Lighter Version)
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 275.2
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 10.0 mg
- Sodium 680.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 9.4 g