Haupia Chocolate Pie (Lighter Version)
Yesterday I reviewed Chamorita Momma's Favourite Chocolate Haupia Pie, recipe 316301 and she thanked me and asked that I publish my lighter version of the pie. I garnished the top of my pie with raw ground cacao beans as they don't have any butter or sugar in them.
- Ready In:
- 1 pie shell (I used an organic honey graham cracker shell for an 8-inch pie)
- 1 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (mine were grain sweetened)
- 1 1⁄2 cups light whipped topping (I used Tru Whip All Natural Topping)
- 1 cup ground cacao beans (I use the raw beans)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and bake the graham cracker crust for 10 minutes. Chill thoroughly before filling.
- In a medium sauce pan heat the coconut milk.
- In a bowl mix the water and cornstarch.
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil, reduce to a simmer and add the cornstarch water mixture and whisk until thickened. Reserve 1/2 to mix with the melted chocolate.
- In a small sauce pan melt your chocolate chips for 1 minute and then add 1/2 the coconut mixture.
- Pour the chocolate coconut mixture into the cooled pie crust. Pour the other half of the coconut mixture on top.
- Cover and refrigerate until totally chilled.
- You can top the whole pie with whipped topping or just add a little on top of a cut piece.
- Sprinkle with the ground cacao.
- Bon Appetit!