Recipe by Dib's
I found this recipe on the net doing a recipe request search.
Top Review by Marla Swoffer
I found this recipe all over the web, so it seems to be the standard. It's good in a basic way but the flavor needed a little enhancing. I tasted it towards the end and decided to add beef stock, more vinegar, more sugar, a little bit of tomato juice (V-8 actually) and a splash of beer I was drinking. That turned it in to a four-star recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups cooked tomatoes, , chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 medium head of cabbage, shredded
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- sour cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot cover the beef, tomatoes, onion, bay leaf and garlic with cold water.
- Let stand for 1 hour and simmer covered for 3 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf, add cabbage, sugar, onion, salt and pepper.
- Simmer for 15 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and offer Sour Cream at the table.