Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
holiday classic in lightened-up form Top with sugared cranberries and mint... Cooking time includes cooling time.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups low-fat milk
- 3 tablespoons light rum
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 5⁄8 ounces whipped dessert topping mix
- Preheat oven to 350°F Coat 2 8-in round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, and salt. Reserve.
- In large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, egg substitute, sour cream and oil until smooth. Stir in flour mixture, then 3/4 c milk, 2 Tbs rum and 2 tsp vanilla until smooth.
- Divide between pans. Bake until toothpick inserted into centers come out clean (22-25 mins). Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Transfer to rack. Brush with remaining rum. Cool completely.
- On medium-high speed, beat topping mix with remaining milk and vanilla until thickened and fluffy (3-4 mins).
- Place one cake layer on serving plate. Spread with 1 1/4 c frosting. Top with remaining layer. Frost top and side of cake. Sprinkle with nutmeg and garnish with cranberries and mint if desired.