Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a tasty and easy side dish for those who aren't in the mood for potatoes. Beef Consomme should be used, since beef broth will not give the flavor needed for this dish. Since consomme and boullion cubes have a high salt content, I don't add salt. After dish is done, add salt if you think it needs it. The cooking time may seem long, but by simmering it this long, flavors intensify.
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked long-grain rice, not instant
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup margarine or 1 cup butter
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 2 (8 ounce) cans beef consomme
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 (8 ounce) can hot water
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- salt, if needed
- Saute rice and onion in butter until rice is golden brown.
- Add rest of ingredients and bring to a boil, with the exception of salt, since it's suggested to add it to taste when rice is done.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer over lowest heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and liquid absorbed.
The way this side dish turned out deserves 5 stars. I also threw in a dash of red pepper flakes, just because we like peppery dishes. We loved it with our beef roast.
Eliminated salt and added pepper to taste. An excellent side dish that got great comments from guests.
Excellent! The simple ingredient list belies the flavorful result.