Prep 2 hrs
Cook 8 mins
These are absolutely scrummy!! Please be aware that the prep time for these sounds a lot but thats due to the 2 hours chilling time Hope you enjoy them
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 48 Rolo chocolates (chocolate-covered caramel candies)
- Beat butter til creamy. Gradually add sugars, beat well. Add eggs and vanilla, beat well. Combine flour, baking soda and cocoa. Gradually add to butter mixture, beating well. Stir in ½ cup nuts (optional). Cover and chill at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine remaining ½ cup nuts with the 1 tablespoons sugar. Divide dough into 4 parts. Work with one part at a time leaving the rest in the fridge. Divide each part into 12 pieces. Quickly press each piece of dough around a chocolate-covered caramel. Roll into ball. Dip one side into sugar.
- Place sugar-side up 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool one minute. Remove to wire rack and cool completely.
We've been using this recipe for years, with pecans in place of the walnuts. Lovely! Be sure you only roll one side of the cookie in sugar/nut mixture, and put it on the baking sheet sugar-side-up, or you'll have cookies STUCK.