Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
These crusty sandwiches are so simple and tasty. Sometimes I add grilled onions, mozzarella or cheddar cheese, regular mayonnaise, garlic aioli or pesto, too. Check out my other recipe to use with this The Realtor's Pesto Feel free to add your favorite items.
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled
- 1⁄2 lb medium mushroom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 7 ounces roasted red peppers, chopped
- 4 tablespoons oil (from the jar of peppers)
- 4 -6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper
- 20 inches French baguettes
- Slice eggplants horizontally into 1/2" slices. Wash mushrooms, pat dry.
- Brush veggies with 3 tbsp of the oil, grill or broil until lightly browned and tender, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Let cool.
- Roughly chop veggies and combine with peppers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine feta cheese, seasoning and remaining tablespoon of oil in a small bowl.
- Slice the baguettes and scoop out a little of the bread.
- Sprinkle the cheese mixture over the bottom pieces, spoon vegetables over cheese and cover with tops.
- Slice each sandwick diagonally into 3 or 4 pieces and serve.
Delicious! I roasted the vegetables on my cast iron pizza pan, and it worked beautifully. My roasted red peppers were packed in oil, so I used several tablespoons of olive oil to roast the eggplant and mushrooms. I ate a bowl of the roasted vegetables plain last night, and today for lunch, I had my sandwich, with the vegetables reheated. I will try adding some different vegetables next time along with the eggplant and mushrooms.
Have been drooling with anticipation every since I tagged this and it did not disappoint. Made using a little pesto as that is how LaBou (a restaurant here in town) sells them. Let me tell you that yours beat LaBou's hands down plus yours has mushrooms (love). Lets face it you have a major winner on your hands.
Yummo! I loved the feta with the eggplant and I roasted red pepper along with the mushroom and eggplant. Great sandwich! Thanks! Made for PRMR.