5 hrs 20 mins
2 hrs 35 mins
2 hrs 45 mins
Witch Doctor's Note:
This tamale preparation will work with any type of filling, i.e., chicken, beef. The filling also works well in empanadas, tacos, sopes and quesadillas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Tamale Dough
- 2 cups maseca cornflour, for tamales (Maseca is the brand name, it is Mexican corn flour)
- 2 cups warm water or 2 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 5 1/3 tablespoons butter
- 12 dry corn husks
For the Roast Pork with Salsa Verde Filling
For the Salsa Verde (use 1 quart)
- 1For the Tamale Dough:.
- 2In a mixer add corn flour, water, baking powder, salt, butter and shortening. Mix at medium speed for about 3 minutes until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- 3Spread 2 ounces of tamale dough on each corn husk and place 1 1/2 ounces of pork filling in the center of each. Fold corn husk and place into a steamer for 1 hour. Allow time to rest and serve warm.
- 4For the Roast Pork with Salsa Verde Filling:.
- 5Heat medium-sized roasting pan, add vegetable oil, and add pork which has been cut into cubes about 2 inches by 2 inches and seasoned on all sides with salt and pepper.
- 6Sear pork to a golden brown on all sides.
- 7Add salsa Verde and chicken broth. Cover and place in a 300-degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- 8Remove pork from liquid and cool.
- 9Pull meat, shredding it into small pieces, then brown lightly in a sauté pan and add cooking liquid. Season to taste.
- 10For the Salsa Verde:.
- 11In a medium pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, then add tomatillos, onions, jalapenos and garlic. Simmer for 5 minutes and drain.
- 12Place ingredients in a blender with cilantro, lime juice and salt; puree.
- 13Return pureed mixture to sauce pot and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning as needed.
Browse Our Top Pork Loins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Roasted Pork Tamales With Salsa Verde Filling
Serving Size: 1 (2831 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 180.4
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 38.5 mg
- Sodium 219.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 11.7 g