Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 35 mins
Cook2 hrs 45 mins
This tamale preparation will work with any type of filling, i.e., chicken, beef. The filling also works well in empanadas, tacos, sopes and quesadillas.
For the Tamale Dough
- 2 cups maseca cornflour, for tamales (Maseca is the brand name, it is Mexican corn flour)
- 2 cups warm water or 2 cups stock
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1⁄3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 5 1⁄3 tablespoons butter
- 12 dry corn husks
For the Roast Pork with Salsa Verde Filling
- 2 lbs pork (boneless shoulder works best)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
For the Salsa Verde (use 1 quart)
- 10 tomatillos
- 1 medium onion, peeled and quartered
- 6 garlic cloves, stem removed
- 2 jalapenos or 2 serrano peppers
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- salt, to taste
- For the Tamale Dough:.
- In a mixer add corn flour, water, baking powder, salt, butter and shortening. Mix at medium speed for about 3 minutes until mixture becomes light and fluffy.
- Spread 2 ounces of tamale dough on each corn husk and place 1 1/2 ounces of pork filling in the center of each. Fold corn husk and place into a steamer for 1 hour. Allow time to rest and serve warm.
- For the Roast Pork with Salsa Verde Filling:.
- Heat medium-sized roasting pan, add vegetable oil, and add pork which has been cut into cubes about 2 inches by 2 inches and seasoned on all sides with salt and pepper.
- Sear pork to a golden brown on all sides.
- Add salsa Verde and chicken broth. Cover and place in a 300-degree oven for about 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- Remove pork from liquid and cool.
- Pull meat, shredding it into small pieces, then brown lightly in a sauté pan and add cooking liquid. Season to taste.
- For the Salsa Verde:.
- In a medium pot bring 3 quarts of water to a boil, then add tomatillos, onions, jalapenos and garlic. Simmer for 5 minutes and drain.
- Place ingredients in a blender with cilantro, lime juice and salt; puree.
- Return pureed mixture to sauce pot and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning as needed.