Pork in Salsa Verde
photo by DrGaellon
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 25mins
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork loin, trimmed of all fat and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 fresh jalapeno peppers, stems removed and seeded
- 3 (11 ounce) cans each tomatillos, drained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or 1/4 cup parsley
- In small bowl, mix the cumin, half the garlic and the salt.
- In medium bowl, combine the pork with the cumin mixture and toss well to coat the meat with seasonings. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours or refrigerate overnight.
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onion and the remaining garlic and cook until softened, about 3 - 4 minutes.
- Scape the mixture into a blender or food processor.
- Add the jalapeno peppers, tomatillos, chicken broth and oregano. Puree until smooth 1 -2 minutes.
- Spray the same large nonstick skillet with veggie cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add half the pork cubes to the skillet and cook, turning, until browned on all sides, 5 - 7 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, remove the meat to a plate and brown the remaining pork.
- Return all the meat to the skillet.
- Add the tomatillo puree and simmer until the sauce is thickened, 8 - 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cilantro and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was delicious! We used 2 lbs of fresh tomatillos, and cooked them down with the chicken broth until they were soft, then processed them with the onions, garlic and jalapenos. We also tossed in a couple of scallions, since they were left over from another recipe. Bright and tangy, nice tender meat... served with rice and black beans.
Ok, so this was really tasty! However, I must confess....life around here is at times organized chaos. As a result, I did not cube my pork loin. I ended up having to stick the loin in the crockpot and using the tomatillo puree as a sauce to cook it in. It has a fantastic flavor and I cannot wait to use it as a filling for some exceptional baked chimis. Thanks for sharing this recipe and I'll return someday hopefully to make it exactly as directed. Made and reviewed for ZWT 5 for the Genies of Gourmet.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Yikes!! My daughter had fun in PaintShop Pro!! What she can do with a picture. My husband and I live in the "bush" and hour from the closest town. Life here is quiet, yet so much more busy than when we lived in the "city". We grow our own veggies, several kinds of berries, and grow lots of hard neck organic garlic. We have 60 chickens, 4 dogs, 1 cat, 1 bird. Quite the menagerie. I make all my own breads, and sell them (along with the eggs). I have a group of friends whom I make extra goodies for. http://www.quizmeme.com/poohpersonality/quiz.php <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp340/northwestgal/redbannercopy.jpg" border="0" alt="New Kids Participation Banner"> <img src="http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/flower753/Food/soup_banner.jpg"> <img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/590105/hcabc.jpg> <img src="http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a132/tgifford/Game%20Room%20Banners/AM%20Banners/KBparticipation.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg"> <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src ="http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u208/diner_photos/lazymecookathon.jpg"> <img src="http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z205/jubespage/GGtiedyesmall.gif" > <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/participantbannerzwt5.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">