Recipe by Realtor by day, Chef by night
This is a fantastic recipe. It's one that my husband really loves. Most men seem to love peppers, don't they? It originally came from the cookbook "Lidia's Italian-American Kitchen" by Lidia Bastianich. I've tweaked it a little for our tastes and made some changes to make it a little bit simpler to do. You can serve them hot or at room temp. for an appetizer or a wonderful, tasty side dish. I use them both ways.
- 3 bell peppers (I use red ones)
- 118.29 ml seasoned bread crumbs
- 118.29 ml crushed garlic flavored Club crackers
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 44.37 ml grated romano cheese
- 44.37 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 2.46 ml dried thyme (optional)
- 1.23 ml crushed red pepper flakes, chopped coarsely
- 118.29 ml chicken stock
- 236.59 ml grated mozzarella cheese
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drizzle the bottom of a baking dish with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and one clove of the garlic. I use a basting brush to spread everything around evenly.
- Cut the peppers in half. Pull out the cores, stems and seeds. Arrange the peppers side by side in the prepared dish with the insides facing up. Drizzle a tablespoon of olive oil over the peppers. (I use a sprayer and spray the oil over them).
- Stir the bread and cracker crumbs, the other 3 cloves of garlic, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, Romano cheese, 2 tablespoons of parsley, the thyme, and the crushed red pepper together in a small bowl. Spoon the crumb mixture over the tops of the peppers.
- Pour the stock into the bottom of the dish and cover tightly with aluminum foil. Bake until the peppers are tender, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and evenly scatter the grated mozzarella over the peppers. Continue baking until the crumbs are lightly browned and the mozzarella is melted, about 20 minutes.
- Transfer the peppers to a serving platter, stir the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley into the juices in the baking pan, then spoon the juices over the peppers. (I always skip this step).
- Serve hot or room temperature.