Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A classic Fall-Winter Pumpkin Soup with creamy and nutty flavors. This soup is a perfect prelude to a Thanksgiving, Christmas or other Holiday Dinner. Canned pumpkin works well...your dinner guests will never guess that the pumpkin isn't fresh!
- 1 fresh yellow onion, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup pecan halves
- 1 fresh garlic clove
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 1⁄4 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pie filling) or 2 1⁄4 cups fresh pumpkin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1 pinch fresh ground nutmeg
- In the work bowl of your food processor, fitted with metal blade, process onion, pecans and garlic until ingredients are finely chopped.
- Transfer mixture to a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Saute with butter until onions are opaque and pecans are light brown -- 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, pumpkin puree, salt, thyme, nutmeg and white pepper.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream.
- Pour into pre-heated soup bowls.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs.