- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups white rice, uncooked regular long grain
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 12 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, Mexican saffron (optional) or 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat vegetable or olive oil over medium-low heat.
- Sauté the onions in the pan until golden brown.
- Add the rice to the pan and stir well to coat the grains with the oil.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover the pan and bring it to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer and cook for 30-40 minutes until the rice is tender.
- Stir the rice occasionally to keep it from sticking.