Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
We love sweets and this one does not disappoint. I got this recipe from a local paper 10 years ago. A lovely bittersweet chocolate crust with almonds and coconut filling. Toasting the coconut creates a nice nutty, dark, deep flavor. Sounds like a chocolate bar doesn't it. Yummy!
- 236.59 ml flour
- 59.14 ml butter
- 56.69 g chocolate, bittersweet
- 14.79 ml milk, chocolate
- 2 eggs, large
- 236.59 ml sugar, brown, dark, lightly packed
- 2.46 ml baking powder
- 44.37 ml flour
- 2.46 ml almond extract, pure
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract, pure
- 236.59 ml almonds, salted, coarsely chopped
- 177.44-236.59 ml coconut, lightly toasted (the toasting is optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small pot melt the butter and chocolate, slowly over a low heat.
- Add the flour to a bowl and mix the melted chocolate mixture into the flour.
- The mixture should be crumbly, next add the milk, mixing with a fork, until the crumbs are large and moist.
- Press the dough into an ungreased 11 x 7 " pan, bake for 10 minutes, remove and cool.
- In a medium size bowl lightly beat the eggs then add the brown sugar, baking powder, flour, vanilla and almond extracts, nuts and coconut, blending well.
- Spread the filling over the crust and bake for 25 - 30 minutes longer.
- Cool completely before cutting into 18 large squares.
- Keep any leftovers in the freezer.
These are really good and has just enough chocolate, but not too overpowering. I coarsely chopped the almonds, but I think next time I will chop them more fine, DH said there were big chuncks and he would prefer smaller. Other than that they were perfect. Made for Holiday PRMR December 2009.
Another one of your recipes that I made for a group I host, & since they're to be served along with a number of other sweet things, I was able to get 24 bars from this recipe! GREAT TASTING THINGIES, & now if I can just hold off until tomorrow, I'll have some left to serve the group! Loved your recipe & will keep this one around, too! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]