Chewy Chocolate-Coconut Bars
warning...these are *extremely* addicting, be prepared to eat half a pan right away! if desired reduce the coconut and add in some chopped nuts :)
- Ready In:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 2 cups brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13 x9-inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl cream shortening, brown sugar, eggs and vanilla until well blended.
- In a small bowl mix together flour, baking powder and salt; add to the creamed mixture, mix until blended.
- Mix in the coconut & chocolate chips.
- Transfer/spread the mixture in the prepared pan.
- Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool before slicing.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Currently eating this now...so good, gooey and delicious. Substituted shortening with 150grams of butter - I have never tried shortening in baking (however I am a novice baker), and they turned out fine. Also baked it for 25mins and they turned out how I liked them - a lil bit gooey but firm at the same time.
These are pretty darn good! Nor a huge fan of coconut in baked goods normally but I had some leftover from a birthday cake I made for my mother. These taste like almond joy in cookie form. They needed to bake a little longer because they were still "wet" in the middle. I did have some trouble getting them out of the pan, but only a little. Tasty morsels!