Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 hrs
This soup recipe was nabbed from another recipe site, and then modifed by me. It makes a lovely, rich and fulfilling soup, one of my all time favorite crockpot dishes! The beauty of it is it makes a delightfully satisfying vegetable soup, so feel free to leave out the beef, if you prefer. I added the cayenne pepper and hot sauce, which gives it a nice kick (you can also use Spicy V8 Juice instead of the tomatoe juice, and then omit the cayenne pepper and hot sauce).
- 1 lb beef stew meat
- 1 (46 ounce) can tomato juice
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 -6 dashes hot sauce
- shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 vegetable beef soup mix (1 box)
- Place stew meat in crockpot.
- Add tomatoe juice, vegatables, soup starter, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and hot sauce.
- Add water and stir well.
- Cook on low for five hours.
- Sprinkle each bowl with Parmesan Cheese and serve.
This had a great flavor and was easy to make and I love to use my crock pot - like other people reviewing this recipe, I too was not thrilled about using the soup mix and next time will probably just use my own combination of herbs and spices.
This soup has a really good taste. I liked the use of the tomato juice and the small amount of hot sauce made a difference! This was the first time I had used a "Soup Starter" package...I guess I prefer adding and controlling the herbs and seasonings myself. I guess the starter is quick and convenient, but I prefer not using it. It does make a hearty soup and I like the convenience of using the Crockpot. Thanks for a good recipe!