Recipe by windhorse23
This is like Spanish Rice, but includes cheese and makes for more protein. kids love it. There is another version with chicken. Just saute about a pound of boneless, chopped chicken breasts, then proceed with the recipe. At the end, instead of baking, leave everything in the saute pan, add the rest of the sauce and the cheese. Then cover the pan and let it sit until the cheese melts.
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped (3/4 cup, approx.)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese (cheddar, jack, etc.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion, garlic, green pepper and rice in the butter until lightly brown.
- Add all but 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
- Then add boiling water, salt& pepper.
- Simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes.).
- Line a greased casserole dish with half the mixture.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese, then add the rest of the tomato sauce.
- Add the rest of the rice and the last of the cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.