This is like Spanish Rice, but includes cheese and makes for more protein. kids love it. There is another version with chicken. Just saute about a pound of boneless, chopped chicken breasts, then proceed with the recipe. At the end, instead of baking, leave everything in the saute pan, add the rest of the sauce and the cheese. Then cover the pan and let it sit until the cheese melts.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Saute onion, garlic, green pepper and rice in the butter until lightly brown.
- 2Add all but 1/2 cup of tomato sauce.
- 3Then add boiling water, salt& pepper.
- 4Simmer, covered, until liquid is absorbed (about 20 minutes.).
- 5Line a greased casserole dish with half the mixture.
- 6Sprinkle 1 cup of cheese, then add the rest of the tomato sauce.
- 7Add the rest of the rice and the last of the cheese.
- 8Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rice - Tomato Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 311.6
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 38.4 mg
- Sodium 1091.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 9.0 g