Nice change from potato salad, goes well with BBQ meats, good with "Marinated Flank Steak".
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (cooked without salt or fat)
- 1 cup green seedless grape, halved
- 1⁄2 cup chopped dried apricot (or fresh in season)
- 1⁄4 cup thinly sliced green onion
- 1 (8 ounce) carton plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (or to your liking)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 dash salt
- 1 bunch green seedless grape (optional)
- Wash wild rice in 3 changes of hot water, drain.
- Combine wild rice and 1 1/2 cups water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer 40 minutes.
- In a large bowl,combine wild rice, brown rice, halved grapes,apricots and green onions.
- Toss well, cover with plastic wrap and chill.
- In a small bowl, combine yogurt, parsley, curry powder, brown sugar and salt.
- Stir well, cover and chill.
- To serve, add dressing to rice mixture, tossing gently to coat.
- Garnish with whole grapes.
This was a great surprise - it was utterly delicious! I didn't have the yogurt so I used what I had - sour cream. Used about 12 dried apricots. Doubled the curry. Everyone really liked it! It's a wonderful colourful different dish to have at a picnic, summer BBQ, or potluck.
I liked this after adding more yogurt and more sugar to the dressing. I also throught the curry powder was a little odd in it. No one else liked it so I have to kill this myself. The first time I ate it I thought it was missing something. The second time I added some chopped walnuts and really enjoyed that. I probably will not make this again, even for just myself. Sorry, just a difference in taste I guess.
very very very good! nice change from the everyday salad. i served this with a garlic lime chicken with fruit salsa to company and they all wolfed it down, asked for more and then went home with the recipe. i also added cilantro because its good in everything! also, i used a 12 grain wild rice mix, so the salad was redish in color. otherwise, perfect!