Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
In my quest for Rice Pudding Nirvana, this brings me close to paradise! The recipe is from the Cooking Light 1993 Recipe Annual.
- 4 cups skim milk, plus
- 1 tablespoon skim milk, divided
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice, uncooked
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups drained and chopped canned pears
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine 4 cups milk, sugar and rice in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Combine cornstarch and remaining 1 tablespoon milk.
- Add to rice mixture, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook one minute.
- Remove from heat.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of the rice mixture into the beaten eggs; add back to the remaining rice mixture, stirring constantly.
- Stir in pears and vanilla.
- Pour mixture into prepared baking dish.
- Combine brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over rice mixture.
- Bake at 350 deg F for 45 minutes or until pudding is set and top has a light crust.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
This recipe is great! Brought it to a gathering and people thanked me for bringing it. Will use this recipe for rice pudding from now on.
wonderful recipe. my husband loved it. i used fresh pears that were to ripe for lunches.