Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
Modified from the Victorian Epicure Vol 4 recipe book - very yummy!
Make and share this Rice Pudding recipe from Food.com.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Butter your casserole dish.
- Mix rice, milk, sugar and butter and pour into casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 2 1/2 hours (stir every 30 minutes).
- Remove from oven and stir in the vanilla.
- Sprinkle Poudre Douce on top.
- If desired, sprinkle some fruit or slivered almonds.
I always thought my Mom had the best recipe which I learned, and then a friend suggest I try it with some Victorian Epicure spices and I was really surprised that it tasted so much better after adding the poudre douce. Try it for yourself!
Very good! I made this tonight but tripled the recipe, I omitted the Poudre Douce and added two 1-inch pieces of cinnamon bark, and freshly grated nutmeg. I used 8 cups milk and 1 cup whipping cream for a more creamier texture. I started the cooking on top of the oven to bring the milk/cream mixture to a light boil, and then I baked mine at 350 degrees on air-convection oven, and it took just over 1 hour to bake. It was very creamy when just removed from the oven, but seemed to firm up upon sitting for a while. We enjoyed this for dessert. Thanks for posting....Kittencal:)