Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
You can use all sorts of beans and peas, but i always preferred kidney beans. Dried are best, if you've got time to soak and boil them, but for convenience sake i've used canned kidney beans in the recipe below.
- 40 g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small clove, finely chopped
- 250 g long grain rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh thyme leave
- 125 g creamed coconut, grated
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 1 (400 g) can red kidney beans
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the butter in a large pan and cook the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes over a low to medium heat until softened.
- Stir in the rice and glaze the grains in the butter for a minute.
- Stir in the thyme, coconut, vegetable stock and beans.
- Drop in the whole chilli and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer gently, with the lid on, for approximately 15-18 minutes until the grains are tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Carefully remove the whole cilli and discard.
- Rest for 5 minutes before serving, to allow the rice grains to seperate.