Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I got this recipe out of the local newspaper years ago. The source for recipe was the Florida Beef Council. It has been really well-received whenever I have made it - everyone has loved it. I have done it in the regular oven and in the convection oven and it is great either way. The sauce is very good, but I usually buy a second jar of the brown gravy and heat that up for the ones that prefer a traditional gravy.
- 4 lbs boneless beef rib eye roast (small end)
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, minced or 2 teaspoons dried rosemary, crushed
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, grated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 baking potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 onions, peeled and cut in half (small)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, halved and cut into quarters (large)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 (12 ounce) jarprepared beef gravy
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1⁄4 cup currant jelly
- Combine rosemary, garlic, dry mustard, salt, and pepper.
- Rub 1/2 of the mixture evenly over surface of beef roast.
- Add oil to the remaining herb mixture.
- Toss with the vegetables to coat evenly.
- Place roast, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan.
- Insert meat thermometer in center of thickest part of roast.
- Arrange coated vegetables around roast.
- Do not add water and do not cover.
- Roast at 350° to desired degree of doneness (325°in convection oven).
- Cook vegetables 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
- (For roast, allow 20-22 minute per pound for rare or medium. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135 for rare, 155 for medium. Place roast on carving board. Return vegetables to oven if longer cooking is necessary. Tent roast with foil and let stand 15 minute before carving. Roast should continue to rise about 5° in temperature to 140° for rare, 160° for medium.).
- Meanwhile prepare sauce.
- Combine dry mustard and water in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve mustard.
- Stir in brown gravy and currant jelly.
- Cook over medium heat about 5 minute or until bubbly and jelly is melted, stirring occasionally.
- This recipe provides 8 servings of vegetables athough a boneless rib eye roast will yield three 3 ounce servings of cooked meat so increase vegetables if serving more than eight.
I made this for Christmas Eve dinner. It is spectacular and easy. The mix of the potatoes go great with the roast. Everyone loved the gravy. Sweey and Savory. Will make again indefinitley.