Recipe by Gerry
This delicious slice was served at a school reunion several years ago. The recipe was shared and has become a family favorite. A must for rhubarb lovers!
Top Review by L.A. Stewart
Wow! What a "keeper"! I made this for a family get together with my in-laws and it was SUCH a huge hit!!!! I love the meringue and the sweet rhubarb on the shortbread bottom. It was incredible! Thank you for sharing this super tasty treat! xo LA :-)
- 236.59 ml butter or 236.59 ml margarine
- 473.18 ml flour
- 14.79 ml sugar
- 1182.95 ml rhubarb (cut)
- 6 egg yolks (reserve whites for topping)
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 59.16 ml flour
- 78.07 ml evaporated milk
- 2.46 ml salt
- 1 orange (use only the grated zest of one orange)
- 6 egg whites
- 177.48 ml sugar
- 1.23 ml salt
Directions See How It's Made
- BOTTOM LAYER.
- Rub butter, flour and sugar together;press into a large greased 11 x 13 pan,.
- bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- MIDDLE LAYER.
- In a large bowl mix rhubarb,egg yolks,sugar, flour,evaporated milk, salt and zest of one orange, pour over baked crust and bake at 350 40 - 50 minutes until looks thickened.
- Beat egg whites stiff,add salt, add sugar gradually beating between additions.
- Pour over rhubarb and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until nicely golden brown.
- NOTE: You may sprinkle the topping with coconut or nuts before baking if you wish, coconut seems to keep the topping from 'weeping'.