Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
It is a very moist cake and very different from all the ones I have made, pies to jams, bars,cakes..I have been trying to get my husband to like Rhubarb desserts for over 25 years and this one made the grade.... A+... he said now this is a keeper and is not to be given away to the neighbors... LOL...He loved it...
- Mix together the first 5 items . flour, gelatin,sugar,cinnamon,and tapioca. (set aside 2 Tab.of mixture for Sauce, seen below).
- Then mix together with Rhubarb -- well coating rhubarb.let set 5 min --.
- Spread into a 9x13 -- or close to that size -- glass cake dish (I have heard rhubarb doesn't like alum.).
- Sprinkle dry cake mix over the entire Rhubarb mixture. cover well.
- Drizzle the cup of water evenly over mixture.
- Spot the top with dabs of butter (about 3-4 Tab).
- Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake 350 F for 45-55 minutes or so until cake is done.
- IF . the cake still looks like flour, in spots, after 45 minute.
- I smear a little more soften butter on top the area and let it set in the oven another 5 minutes Cake should be done by then -- .
- Remove from oven. Cool on rack.
- Top with, Vanilla ice cream,or Cool Whip.
- and on top of that I pour a little of my Rhubarb Sauce over the cake when serving.
- My husband likes to pour a little of the Vanilla Flavored coffee cream over the cake -- So Yummy.
- Jacqi's Rhubarb Sauce.
- -- In a small saucepan . Put 2 to 2 3/4 cups chopped rhubarb and 2-3 Tablespoons water.
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar --.
- 2 Tablespoons of the mixture that was set aside from cake (first 5 ingredients.).
- -- cook over MED. Heat, stir as not to bun -- will cook up fast. In about 5-7 minute.
- when the rhubarb is like mush it is done. ,.
- -- It will thicken when chilled -- you can add more water if too thick .just a few drops at a time.
- I Drizzle this over the Cool Whip looks pretty -- and good.
- My husband is not a fan of Rhubarb -- but this is one he said it is a KEEPER.!
- He could eat it every night for dessert.
- I am a Grandmother and have been looking for a long time for just the right Rhubarb Dessert . Thanks to Food.com and a recipe by a Chef Aroostook's I found and looked it over and came up with the one I put together --.
- Everyone Love's it -- they want the recipe --.
- I tell them to get on Food.com and they will find it and a lot more recipes they will love.
Perfect timing to find this recipe. I wanted to use the end of last summer's rhubarb to get it out of the freezer to make way for this years crop. I did use about 1 cup extra rhubarb to achieve that end. This is delicious. I sweetened with Splenda and followed the recipe. It's a real hit with my DH too but mine likes rhubarb so I knew this would be a shoe in. Made of PAC, Spring 2014.