Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
I found this recipe in the May 2002 of "Cooking Light" magazine and it tastes anything but light. The recipe is quite easy its just time consuming due to the 3 steps but it is so worth it! My family loved this, Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 9 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- cooking spray
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3 large eggs
- 5 cups rhubarb, 1/2 inch slices,fresh or frozen unthawed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 (4 ounce) package fat free cream cheese
- 1 (4 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese (I used 8oz light cream cheese)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Think of this recipe as 3 seperate parts.
- The instructions indicate crust, filling or topping.
- To prepare crust, mix flour sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Press mixture into 9 x 13 pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- My crust never got golden but I baked only for about 20 minutes.
- To prepare filling, combine flour, sugar.
- Add milk and eggs stirring with whisk until well blended.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Pour mixture over crust.
- Bake at 350 for 40 min.
- or until set.
- Cool to room temp.
- To prepare topping, place sugar, cream cheese, and vanilla in bowl, beat with mixer at medium speed until smooth.
- Gently fold in whipped topping.
- Spread evenly over baked custard.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour.
In one word....elegant!!! =) Followed the recipe exactly and it was wonderful. Thanks so much for posting! =)
I love rhubarb and knew this one would be delicious. I made it for company coming and everyone complimented the cook!