Recipe by Jacqueline in KY
We have rhubarb every year, much more than we can use so I am always looking for recipes to use it in.
Top Review by Anemone
I made this into two types: one with the walnuts and one without, so the kids could take it in their lunches. However, without the walnuts, the taste of the honey overpowered the tang of the rhubarb. If I make this again, I will cut the honey back to a maximum of half a cup.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped raw rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a mixing bowl beat the egg with the honey, melted butter and orange juice.
- Stir in the rhubarb and nuts.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ginger.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients, stirring just to mix.
- Pour into 2 medium loaf pans, greased.
- Bake 35-40 minutes or until the tops feel springy to the touch.
- Cool bread in pans 10 minutes before removing to cool on a rack.