Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is so yummy and very easy to put together. Great for St. Patty's Day Celebration!
- 1 lb deli-sliced corned beef, cut into strips
- 3⁄4 lb swiss cheese, sliced
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) bottle thousand island dressing
- 10 slices pumpernickel bread, torn
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 9 x 13" pan with cooking spray.
- Place corned beef strips along bottom of pan.
- Spread sauerkraut over top evenly.
- Pour 1000 Island Drssing evenly over top.
- Layer slices of swiss cheese until evenly covered.
- Brown/sautee torn pumpernickel bread with butter in fry pan until browned and crisp.
- Layer bread over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes, serve.
OMG!!!!! This was sooooooooo delicious, and so easy to prepare!!!!! It is everything you love about a reuben sandwich in a casserole dish!!!!! Since I was only cooking for two, I prepared it in an 8" x 8" square glass casserole dish, using Vienna corned beef from the deli, and thousand island dressing. When it came to the bread crumb topping, I tore two slices of rye bread into pieces and put them into about 1/4 cup of butter in the saucepan, then I added about 1/4 - 1/2 cup of Pepperidge Farm Herb Seasoned Stuffing mix, which I always have on hand, to give the topping more texture. I browned this mixture in butter, stirring constantly for about 5 minutes, and added some garlic powder and romano cheese (could use parmesan) for more flavor in the topping. My DH said it was absolutely delicious, and is a "keeper" in our regular rotation of recipes. Thanks for a fantastic and easy recipe.....will be making this often!!!!!
Everyone at St.Patrick potluck liked it. Only drawback is that it might be a little on the spendy side.