Recipe by hxnnxh
I love the way mexican restaurants make a chicken burrito, with mexican rice and shredded, juicy chicken, After some experiments I came quite close, however, I omit the refried beans, cheese and cream. This makes it a perfect pre-work-out food: I eat one every now and then before going for a 10 mile run! Works perfectly and doesn't give you that overstuffed feeling in the stomach. I usually do add some guacamole (see my guacemole recipe if you want to make it yourself). This way it is lighter and healthier, but no less tasty! Ofcourse you can always choose to add the refried beans, cheese and cream if you got your heart set on it!
Top Review by Evelyn Ernst
I looked up "healthy chicken burrito" and this recipe came up. The ingredients sounded good, so I gave it a shot. I hit a home run with my husband and daughter! The flavors are light and satisfying. The dish is in general is not heavy. The only changes I made were to use a cooked chicken from the grocery store and added a 1/4 cup of beer to the chicken mixture (simmered for 15min instead of 40min), and served it with shredded cheese and sliced avocado inside the burrito. This was excellent, filling but not weighty, flavorful, and easy on the calories! I will definitely make this again!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 green bell peppers
- 3 tomatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 cup tomatoes, cubes (from can)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup black beans (from can)
- 1 cup corn (from can)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 8 flour tortillas
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the chicken in coarse pieces.
- In food processor, mix bell peppers, tomatoes, 1 onion, garlic, cilantro to a salsa. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- In frying pan, add half the vegetable oil and add chicken. Fry for about 1-2 minutes and add the salsa. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for about 40 minutes.
- In the mean time, shred the 2nd onion. In large frying pan or wok, add remaining oil and put on med-high heat. Add the uncooked rice and fry until the rice gets a bit puffy and glazy, about a minute or 2. Add cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder and onion and cook till onion is softened. Add chicken stock, tomato cubes and salt, about a teaspoon. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on low for about 25 minutes, until liquid has been absorbed.
- When chicken is done, take the chicken pieces out of the salsa. Add the salsa to the rice and stir. Using two forks or clean hands, shred the chicken pieces into little shreds. set aside.
- Stir beans and corn into rice. Warm through.
- On tortilla, scoop some rice and put some of the shredded chicken on top. Roll up.