Similar to a Mexican horchata, this drink is essentially home made rice and barley milk flavoured with cinnamon and nutmeg and sweetened to taste. From Gormandize.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the rice, barley and cinnamon sticks in a large saucepan and cover with 4 cups water. Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer and cover.
- 2Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed to prevent sticking to the bottom. Once the rice and barley are cooked turn off the heat and stir though the sugar, vanilla, nutmeg and another 3 cups cold water.
- 3Remove the cinnamon sticks and blend in batches.
- 4Pass the blended liquid through a strainer into a large bowl, using a spoon to press down and squeeze as much liquid out as possible. You'll end up with a bowl of thick liquid and the mushy solids that you couldn't strain any more liquid out of (put these aside in a container and eat them for breakfast as porridge, so delicious!).
- 5Stir the remaining water and the rice milk through the liquid that you strained out of the barley and rice. If you like you can thin it out a bit more with some more water, it's up to you.
- 6Makes somewhere between 2 and 3 litres.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Resbaladera(Costa Rican Barley and Rice Drink)
Serving Size: 1 (2847 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 868.6
- Calories from Fat 28
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 52.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 192.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.3 g
- Sugars 51.3 g
- Protein 18.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: