Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A delicious fiber bread, a couple slices of this will wake up any sandwich filling! Toasted and topped with honey or marmelade makes breakfast something you'll look forward to!
- 1⁄2 cup Red River hot cereal, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons Red River hot cereal, uncooked
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1 small egg
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheated oven @ 375°F.
- Greased cake pan.
- * A bread machine can well be put to use blending the dough using only the first cycle.
- By Hand:.
- Mix the dry ingredients together (witholding the 2 Tbl of Red River cereal), yeast included.
- Blend together the oil, water and molasses.
- Quickly mix the wet and dry ingredients.
- Allow the dough to rest for 10 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a round loaf and place it into the prepared pan. Cut an "X" into the top of the loaf.
- Mix the egg and water and lightly brush the egg wash over the bread. Only use enough to cover the topof the dough. Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons of Red River cereal over the dough. ** Egg substitute may be used in place of the egg wash.
- Cover the bread dough with a warm damp cloth and set in a warm place to rise til double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Bake in preheated 375F oven about 30 minutes or til bread tests done (turn th bread out into your covered hand and tap the bottom center of the loaf - a hollow sound tells you it's done).
- NOTE: The cooking time listed includes the rising time.
this bread is very dense and full of fiber and thats great. it was a lot more crumbly than i was hoping, hard to make a sandwich out of but nice toasted with cheese. i think the warm damp towel stopped it from rising very well as it got cold quickly? i made it into a loaf so i could make sandwiches and although i greased the pan it really stuck tight. so i ended up with a squatty dense crumbly brick of fiber. i tried to retard it in the fridge overnight and that may have been my problem.. but i do love red river.. thanks.