Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Red rice is to Latin cooking what dirty rice is to Cajun cooking. The Anchote powder is from ground annatto seeds and is the main seasoning in red rice. This site didn't recognize it as an ingredient but it did know annatto seeds - so I put it in as annatto seeds in the ingredients. If you can't find it in a grocery store, see if you can find a Latin market. Recipe courtesy of Ingrid Hoffmann. Tip: if you burn your rice, you can save it by scooping all the rice that is not stuck to the bottom of the pot into a lidded container. Nestle one small peeled onion in the center of the rice and cover the container tightly. After 20 minutes the onion will magically have absorbed all of the burnt flavor and bitterness from the rice. Thanks Ingrid!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground annatto seeds (1 t achiote powder)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth (low-sodium canned or homemade)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat for about 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is soft, about 2 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until it is opaque, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, achiote powder, bay leaf and chicken broth and stir once.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the liquid evaporates to just below teh level of the rice, about 12 mintues. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting. Cover and cook until the rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Uncover, fluff with a fork and serve!
Very nice rice recipe! This was the first time I tried achiote (I'm glad I found it online here in Germany at all!) and I really like it. Thanks for sharing! :)
I really like the flavor that the achiote gives to this rice! I'm not sure if it's because I rinsed my rice before cooking it (I always do), but my total cook time was only 30 minutes total. This was a great side with Nyteglori's Seafood Parrillada and Ice Cool Kitty's Collard Greens With Tomatoes and Garlic. Thanks for posting! Made for the Emerald City Shakers for ZWT7