Recipe by potions
Sliced turkey and Brie go well with this sweet and tangy condiment. Also try it on a rare roast beef and aged Gouda sandwich.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red onions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup canned reduced-sodium beef broth
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over moderate heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened to the consistency of maple syrup, 4-6 minutes.
- Discard thyme sprigs and transfer to a bowl.
- Let cool, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- Cover and chill until ready to serve.
- This can be made up to 2 weeks ahead (let stand at room temperature at least 30 minutes before serving).