Recipe by Lainey6605
Look for the reddish blush and taste a more mellow flavor when you use Dutch-process cocoa instead of plain cocoa. There will be no difference in texture. I got this recipe from a newspaper.
Top Review by Chef floWer
A had a few people begging me to make this recipe, I don't consider myself a baker so I was a bit hesitate. The recipe worked out really well and everyone enjoyed them. I used regular cocoa and I left out the strong coffee from the frosting because DD (Little Miss) was going to eat them as well. Otherwise I kept to the recipe. Thank you so much for posting your recipe Lainey6605
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa or 1⁄2 cup dutch process cocoa
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa, sifted
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- salt, pinch
- 1⁄3 cup cold strong coffee, about
Directions See How It's Made
- For cake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spritz cupcake pans with nonstick baking spray or line with cupcake papers.
- Place cocoa in a small bowl.
- Add water, slowly stirring, until well blended and smooth.
- Set aside until lukewarm.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt.
- In medium bowl, cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Add the cooled chocolate mixture all at once, add vanilla and stir well.
- Add the flour mixture all at once and stir with a wooden spoon until smooth and patches of white disappear.
- Do not overmix.
- Using a measuring cup, dip out the batter and place in the cupcake pans; the cupcake pans should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until a cake tester or toothpick comes clean when poked into the cakes.
- When cooled, frost with mocha frosting (recipe below).
- Makes about 18 2 1/2 inch cupcakes.
- For frosting, remove lumps from both sugar and cocoa by placing the measured ingredients into a sieve set over a bowl; push and rub with the back of a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the vanilla and salt.
- Add the sugar all at once and mix until almost blended.
- Beat in as much of the coffee as needed to make a smooth, spreadable frosting.
- Makes 1 3/4 cups or enough to frost 18 cupcakes generously.
- Tip: If the cupcakes are going into a lunchbox or picnic basket, cut them in half, sandwich the frosting in the middle and wrap in wax paper or plastic wrap.