Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
I love chicken chili and this one is a little different. Adapted from Cooking Light. Serving size: 1 cup chili, 1 T. cheese, and 1 T. sour cream. 280 calories, 9.2 g fat, 26.6 g carb, 5.4 g fiber, 54 mg cholesterol
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 3 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup shredded extra-sharp low-fat cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat sour cream
- Add the oil to a large pot; heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion; stir/saute 5 minutes.
- Add chili powder and the next 4 incredients; stir/saute for 30 seconds.
- Add in the chicken stock, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add in the chicken; stir to mix; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Ladle chili into individual soup bowls; top with cheese and sour cream.
This was very enjoyable and easy to make. I used previously poached chicken breasts and made exactly as stated. Skipped the cheese and sour cream to save a few calories. Next time, I will add a chopped green pepper. Thanks.
Excellent recipe! Great flavor!
This was super easy to make-something I really appreciate! I cooked the chicken in the microwave, sauted the onions and the spices, then put all the ingredients in a crock pot on low heat and left it until dinner. It was delicious just as it was to my husband and me, but next time I will cut down on the chili powder for the sake of the kids! Thanks for a great recipe!